The liver is the most important detox organ in our body. While toxins are eliminated from our body via sweat and urine – the bulk of toxins are discharged from our body in bile from the liver that empties into stool.
When gallstones are blocking the bile ducts – they interfere with bile flow and you cannot digest fats. If you experience nausea when eating fats – it is often due to bile stones impairing your bile flow- which in turn are often caused by worms. What’s more poor bile availability/flow is often a common underlying cause of constipation since bile is a digestive acid.
Three measures over time to remove stones and restore normal bile flow are:
Juicing with freshly pressed organic vegetables/fruit/herbs will stimulate bile production – especially apple, celery and green juices. Herbs to support the liver are fresh dandelion leaves, burdock, ginger. The active substances in juices dissolve calcium salts in stones and make them softer so they can be eliminated. For the best results make a GAPS milkshake – which taken on an empty stomach will over time unblock your biliary tree.
GAPS Milkshakes: whisk or blend 1-2 raw eggs and 1-2 tablespoons of raw butter or coconut oil or some raw sour cream into your fresh juice. This will balance blood sugar – boost immunity and assist in the absorption of chlorophyll from green juices. The eggs and butter/oil will balance the sugar from the juices with fat and protein. The juices of the vegetables soften the gallbladder stones over time, while the fat provides gentle stimulation to the liver to squeeze the stones out. Drink first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. If you have a hard time digesting fats – work up to 2 glasses per day – one in morning and one in the middle of the afternoon.
Coffee enemas help the liver to cleanse itself and flush toxins out through the bile. For more information go to the enema section.
Having small amounts of healthy fats with meals will stimulates the bile flow. Initially you may need to add Ox Bile supplement. Healthy fats are from meats, butter, coconut oil, cold pressed olive oil, ghee, duck fat etc. Introduce small amounts slowly.
Nearly everyone can benefit from a Liver Cleanse. Following are 2 different liver cleanses that I have tried.
Dr. Rau’s Liver Cleanse
I have done this liver cleanse several times and it is really effective when combined with the One Week Intensive Cure diet. The Intensive Cure diet – when followed exactly – can be an endeavor – with a fair amount of prep work – but it really maximizes the results. I suggest doing it with another family member or friend – there is always strength in numbers – that’s code for misery loves company! This cleanse purifies both the liver and the gallbladder. It opens up the bile ducts, allowing excess fat and toxins to drain out in soft bilious stones.
The One-Week Intensive Cure
This will prepare your body in very specific nutritional ways for a week. The One Week Intensive Cure diet requires that you abstain from all -caffeine, alcohol, meat, cheese and other dairy, eggs, wheat, processed foods and any other source of saturated fat. You should during this time eat a lot of shredded raw and lightly steamed vegetables, dressed only with lemon juice or balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil. You may have natural sea salt or Himalayan salt and herbs, but no table salt. You must drink 2 to 3 liters of pure, noncarbonated mineral water and herbal tea each day. Water should be taken after not during meals. Drinking too much water with meals can dilute stomach acids and impede proper digestion. In addition, twice a day at 10:00a.m and 4:00 p.m. drink ½ teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda dissolved in half a glass of warm water. This encourages elimination.
Basics for the One-Week Intensive Cure
- No Meat
- No Sugar
- No gluten
- No dairy
- No nuts
- No salt or pepper
- At least 3 liters of fluid a day, including pure spring water, vegetable juices, herbal teas, and unsweetened organic apple juice – for the Liver Cleanse
DAY 1 – DAY 7
Drink 1 to 1 ½ liters of unsweetened apple juice or fresh cider each day. The apple juice ferments in your body, and the malolactic acid produced softens bile stones and keeps the bile ducts open so they can pass. If the sugar in the juice is too much for you, dilute it by half with water. Sip the juice slowly throughout the day between meals.
DAYS 5, 6, and 7
Wake up, drink 1-2 glasses of plain warm water
15 Minutes later take 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil blended with 2 tablespoons of fresh organic lemon juice. Wait 30 minutes before eating breakfast.
On day 7 do not eat or drink anything except water after 2p.m.
6:00 P.M.: Dissolve 4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) of Epsom salts in 3 cups of water. Divide into 4 portions of ¾ cup each. Drink the first portion at once. You can drink with a straw of suck on lemon after to get rid of bitter taste. (Epsom salts will keep the bile duct valves wide open and thin the bile fluid.
8:00 P.M. Drink your second ¾ cup of Epsom salts.
9:30 P.M. If you haven’t had a bowel movement yet – do a water enema.
9:45 P.M. Squeeze enough grapefruit to obtain ¾ of strained juice (no pulp) Put the juice in a jar with ½ cup extra virgin olive oil. Cover and shake well until emulsified.
10:00 P.M. Stand next to your bed – don’t sit. Quickly give the juice cocktail another shake and drink it down quickly. If not in one go -within 5 minutes. If need be you can add a little brown sugar to help chase it down. Immediately, lie down and don’t get up for at least 20 minutes; otherwise you may not be able to release the “stones”. Turn off the lights – lie on your back with your head up high. Use extra pillows to keep your body elevated; you should sleep practically sitting up. If you experience any nausea – roll to your right side, keeping your head high, and tuck your knees in slightly toward your chest – this should provide relief. You can also press a hot water bottle gently against your liver, which is the upper right side of your abdomen. Go to sleep if you can.
6:00-6:30 A.M. Upon awakening – but not before 6:00 – drink your third cup ¾ of dissolved Epsom salts. If you are thirsty you may drink a glass of warm water before taking the salts. Rest and relax or go back to bed.
8:00-8:30 A.M. Drink your fourth and last ¾ cup of Epsom salt mixture. When going to the bathroom you many notice some green “stones” – they may be small or some larger ones.
10:00-10:30 A.M. – Slowly drink a small glass of freshly squeezed fruit juice. Have a light lunch – preferably one low in protein and fat.
Dr. Simon Yu’s Gallbladder-Liver Flush
Dr. Yu’s gallbladder-liver flush is a quick, easy an inexpensive way to cleanse the liver, the most important organ system for detoxification.
- During the flush drink plenty of filtered water containing no chlorine or fluoride.
- On average, drink eight glasses of water, eight oz each per day between meals.
- Eat light meals. (Don’t drink water with your meals because it dilutes you gastric juices and may cause indigestion or malabsorption.)
What you will need
- Unsweetened organic apple juice – 3-4 quarts
- Epsom Salt
- Extra virgin, cold pressed olive oil
- Ultra- Phos Liquid – to purchase ultralifeinc.com – product #6235
- Malic Acid – to purchase pureformulas.com – product malic acid by Ecological Formulas
- Add 8 full droppers of Ultra-Phos Liquid in one quart of unsweetened organic apple juice and mix well. (One “full dropper usually only fills about half of the physical length of the dropper – the Ultra-Phos is an ortho-phosphoric acid that aids in breaking down hard cholesterol based gallstones).
- Drink at least one quart daily for 3-4 days.
- Take Malic Acid – 1 tab a day. The malic acid will help thin your bile and make it easier to pass from your liver and gallbladder.
- If you have diabetes or sugar sensitivity you may dilute the apple juice with filtered water – 1 part apple juice to 1 part water.
- On either the 3rd or 4th day stop all medications and supplements around 3:00 p.m.
- 5:00 p.m. have a light – low-fat meal for dinner and finish apple juice by then. Do not eat anything for the rest of the day – you may drink only water.
- 6:00-7:00 p.m. take 1 teaspoon – 1 tablespoon of Epsom Salt in 12 oz of water
- 9:00 p.m. – Drink ½ cup of extra virgin olive oil. Do not drink all at once – but within 15-30 minutes. For taste you may add 1 cup of coke to the olive oil and the juice of a whole fresh lemon. Or you can add the juice of a whole grapefruit to the olive oil. (You may feel nauseated for a few hours after drinking the olive oil – the cola and lemon/grapefruit can help to settle your stomach.
- Immediately after you drink the olive oil; lie down on your right side with your knees up to your chest for at least 30 minutes. (I think the longer you stay lying down the better- you could even go to bed for the night.) The oil stimulates the liver and gallbladder.
- You may start to see green objects come out after the 2nd or 3rd bowel movement. Some people may pass green objects for several days.
- The initial bowel passage may contain true stones but most of the green objects are congealed bile sludge bile sludge mixed with olive oil coming out of the liver and gallbladder ducts.
- Occasionally you may need an herbal laxative to get things moving or several large warm water enemas or colonics. If you experience any abdominal discomfort or cramps, take 1 additional tablespoon of Epsom salt in a 12oz glass of water.
If you have gone through this flush without any response, for the next flush you can increase the amount of olive oil up to 1 cup as tolerated. Some people may have to do more than 2 or 3 gallbladder-liver flushes before they will start passing green objects. Dr. Yu recommends doing this program once every other week until passing very few “stones”, then monthly. Gradually taper to 4 times a year (for every season) for maintenance.